Friday, March 26, 2010

The Blood Work

For those of you who have been around me for awhile you should be very aware of the fact that I HATE needles and anything to do with them. I always pass out and the worst is when I know I have to get blood work. I've done everything from kicking people out of the way, moving my arm around so they can't prick me and threatening to call someone else to save me like my dad or papa Allen. I would work myself up so much that the crash would come and I would just go limp and pass out.

Getting your blood work is pretty much the first thing you do at the doctor when you find out you are pregnant. I knew this and I've been dreading it and have been very anxious about it. I warned the nurse that I would pass out and that I needed to use one of the butterfly needles they use on children. She said not a problem and she also said that even if I do pass out for a few moments it would not hurt or harm the baby.

It was the big day and my appointment was at 8 in the morning. I got up and got ready made myself some eggs and toast to make sure I had something in me and then off Zach and I went to the doctor. I again told the nurse about my phobia of needles and the fact that I would more than likely pass out. She sat me down in the chair and had Zach on the other side try to distract me. It didn't work because as soon as she put that rubber thing around my arm I started to sweat and fidget. She cleaned off my arm and told me to hold it out for her. That didn't work. She asked me a few times if I just would rather lay down while she does it. I was trying to be tough so I said no, but as soon as she cleaned off my arm Zach said why don't we try to lay down. I guess my face was beat red because when we passed by a few nurses they made a comment about my face. So the process started over. I laid down, she put the rubber thing on my arm, cleaned my arm and then poked the needle in. It felt just like a little tiny prick and after about 3 vials of blood she was done. I can say this because I was awake through the whole thing! I didn't pass out even for a second. She told me to lie down and drink some water before I left so I did and I got up and walked out on my own.

It took all of me not to call everyone I know to tell them, but since just a very select few people knew I was pregnant I had to resort to just telling Sabrina and Adam.

I guess I'm finally a big girl now...

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious! Way to be jenna!
    love,
    brit dinkel

    ReplyDelete