Saturday, May 25, 2013

What's a Tornado Warning?

I have always loved springtime. I love the warmer weather where it isn't too hot yet, the longer days of sun and just getting out and playing outside again after the winter. What I don't like is this Texas spring. One day it is cold the next really hot and humid. Then there are the storms. I love a good thunderstorm, but not these kinds of storms. They have tornadoes here...its a common thing...I'm pretty sure Zach didn't tell me how frequent they were. About a week ago we were sitting in our family room, which has 7 large windows that line the room, and the tornado siren goes off and the TV flashes with the weather alert. It kept saying tornado warning. Now I'm not from Texas I don't know the difference between a watch and a warning. My logical thinking was that a watch is where it says "hey, watch out there may be a tornado coming." and then the tornado warning would be where it says "hey, this is your warning a tornado was spotted." So while I watched the TV flash every 5-10 minutes with the Tornado watch information we sat there. I asked Zach to look up and confirm that was the correct meaning for the watch/warning weather alerts. He said that it was the opposite from what I thought...so we sat there. Wind howling and rain coming down in our window filled room.

The next day I go into work and everyone is telling their tornado stories. I then asked why were people getting in their safe spots when it was just a watch. They looked at my funny and so I clarified what I thought a watch meant. Then I realized, my so wonderful husband let me believe the opposite in efforts not to freak me out. Sweat gesture, but come on we need a plan in place. So now I am well aware of the difference. Trying to figure out this Texas weather and trying to remind myself why we left a place that the only natural disaster was dust storms...

1 comment: